Tuesday, January 20, 2015

She's Simply Known as Julie

Julie Quang was perhaps the most recognizable "Eurasian" in Vietnam prior to 1975. Before Julie's arrival onto the spotlight as a Vietnamese entertainer, no other mixed performer had made quite an impact.  When we think of Julie Quang, one particular song comes to mind.  And that is a Pham Duy composed song based on L'Adieu, a French poem written by  Guillaume Apollinaire, entitled Mua Thu Chet.  Her heartfelt interpretation of this song is undoubtedly a significant contributing factor for it becoming one of the most prolific Vietnamese love songs in the history of modern Vietnamese pop music.  To an entire generation of Vietnamese music lovers in Saigon prior to 1975, she is known as Julie Quang.  Since resettling overseas and upon her divorce from Duy Quang, to Vietnamese audiences worldwide, she is simply known as Julie.

This past Saturday was Julie's birthday.  I've had the pleasure of having befriended her many years ago.  Our unique friendship has lasted to this day.  Julie has become more like a family member to me, than just a friend.  At times, she's like an adoptive mother.  At other times, she's like an adoptive older sister I never had.  No matter what, Julie has always been like a best friend to me since I've known her.  I say this without any hesitation what so ever, and that is, I really wouldn't know where I would be if Julie wasn't in my life.  I really mean that.



Some might argue that Julie is not Eurasian, since her father is Indian and her mother is Vietnamese.  The truth is Julie's father was a French national of East Indian origin.  The fact that she looked Eurasian did a lot for the movement of Eurasians within Vietnamese society towards acceptance and awareness.  Like my mother has said, when she first saw Julie Quang on national television back in Saigon over 40 years ago, this beautiful metiste girl singing Ngay Xua Hoang Thi, it changed her life.  I'm sure many others of my mother's generation share her viewpoint.

I've documented my special friendship with Julie on a post I had uploaded on my blogsite, ThienPhu-VietSinger.BlogSpot.com, entitled as Julie and Me.  I'm forever grateful for knowing her.  She has been one of the most significant people in my life who has reminded me to always keep my chin up and never forget to be proud of being racially mixed.  Julie represents all that for being racially mixed.  She's beautiful, talented and unapologetic about who she is.  That is why she is Julie.

Link(s):

Julie and Me on ThienPhu-VietSinger.BlogSpot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment