Saturday, November 1, 2014

Lilian

While Thanh Ha and Phi Nhung were still in Vietnam back in the 1980s, Lilian was already doing her own thing here in the States, wowing audiences with her incredible voice at her live performances. The first time I ever saw Lilian perform on stage was way back in 1987 at a Vietnamese nightclub in in Orange County called Club Rex.  I was only about 14 at the time, and somehow was snuck in by my older cousins through a back entrance.  Once I got in and was able to see the line-up of live musical performers, I was completely impressed by one singer in particular, Lilian.  I just couldn't get over just how much energy Lilian had as a live performer.  It was during the time when Euro New Wave and Italo Disco music was really popular.  Lilian sang songs like You're My Love, You're My Life, Heartflash Tonight, Heaven and Hell, and Say You'll Never perfectly, some she sang even better than the original artists.  She definitely stood out from the rest of the Vietnamese performers for several reasons like her high energy style of performing, her gestures and dance moves that were typical of a Westerner unlike most other Vietnamese singers at the time, and the most obvious distinguishing factor about Lilian, how she didn't look at all Vietnamese due to her mixed background as an Amerasian.

After that first night seeing Lilian perform live at Club Rex, I searched everywhere hoping to buy Lilian's cassettes without much luck.  Some of the Vietnamese music stores I went to didn't even know who she was.  Finally, I think it was either at Bich Thu Van in Phuoc Loc Tho (Asian Garden Mall) or at Tu Quynh on Bolsa and Brookhurst in Westminster where I found a few compilation cassettes consisting of various other Vietnamese recording artists that had featured Lilian with only a song or two.  The quality in the production of these cassettes were pretty much forgettable.  I remember two tracks Lilian had recorded in particular that I had found to be really enjoyable to listen to; a cover she had done of CC Catch's Heaven and Hell, which was a track where Lilian had made a guest appearance on an album of a French-Vietnamese singer named Yen Huong, and another Euro New Wave cover of CC Catch's that she recorded with the worst title imaginable, You Shot a Whole in My Soul.  I was already hooked on Lilian from that first time I saw her perform live.  I just couldn't wait for her to come out with more recorded songs, preferably an album of her own, one of these days.

In 1993, my good friend, hairstylist and make-up artist, Perry Zeild, invited me to accompany him and singer Kieu Nga at a shooting of a music video production at the Ritz Nightclub in Anaheim. When I walked in, I saw this beautiful tall girl.  I asked Perry if that was a singer that used to sing at Club Rex by the name of Lilian.  Perry said yes.  I couldn't believe it.  It had been years since I had been to any Vietnamese nightclub and I hadn't heard or seen anything of Lilian's out in the market. That was when I found out through Perry that Lilian had been performing regularly at the Ritz all these years after Club Rex had closed down.  I remember asking Perry if he knew whether Lilian was Amerasian or not.  He gave me a puzzled look while he shook his head and said, "I can't believe you of all people can't tell that she's a halfie."  By the way, that was when Lilian shot the music video to Finally for Shotguns Productions.


Lilian would be formally introduced to the Vietnamese general audience the following year when she signed with Sao Dem Productions that would produce many of her solo studio albums throughout the 1990s.  I then started going to Ritz quite often just to watch Lilian perform.  I really loved watching her, especially whenever she would sing What's Up?  It wouldn't be for another couple of years when I finally got to know her through a mutual friend, singer Cathy Dung.  And then another few more years before I would get to work with her on several shows, as well as singing alongside her on a few occasions at the Can Club and the Majestic.  All I can say about Lilian is she is just one awesome person.  We've known each other now for nearly 20 years, and I've never once had a disagreement with her.  That's really saying something for anyone who has known me for that long.  Lilian has been like a big sister to me.  I'm not sure if she is 5 or 6 years older than myself.  But what does it matter?  She still looks great after all these years.  I truly cherish our friendship.  And I hope that we will be able to work together again in the near future.  Lilian is just the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment