Saturday, November 15, 2014

Dai Trang: Dancing All Night and Always Moving Forward

For as long as I've known Dai Trang, I've always been tremendously impressed with her drive and motivation.  She has always been a go-getter.  Nothing ever seems to hold her back from getting what she wants in life and achieving the goals she has set out for herself.  Dai Trang truly is an over-achiever who has set a perfect example for others to see what hard work and determination can bring in life. 

My friendship with Dai Trang started sometime in the year of 1994.  It had been just a few years since her arrival to the United States from Vietnam, yet she had already established herself as a household name with overseas Vietnamese audiences worldwide and was enjoying a highly successful singing career with a full schedule.  When she wasn't touring out of town, she was performing regularly at the Ritz Nightclub in Anaheim, California.  During this time, Dai Trang was also riding high with her professional association with May Productions as a regular performer on the Hollywood Night stage. With each appearance that Dai Trang was making on the Hollywood Night music video series, audiences were being mesmerized by her exotic Eurasian beauty, her charm and unique style of singing.  Among the songs Dai Trang had performed on Hollywood Night included Red Hot, Tokyo by Night, Venus, Jump in My Car, and the most memorable of them all, Dancing All Night.  That was also the song that had turned me into a Dai Trang fan.  On one volume of the Hollywood Night series, it was revealed how she had gained quite a following among admiring viewers who had taken notice of her physical beauty, as Dai Trang was deemed as the Vietnamese singer who had possessed the most attractive set of legs.
Dai Trang on the popular
Hollywood Night music video series

When I first met Dai Trang, I was a bit nervous.  Our first meeting was sometime near the end of the year in 1994.  It was at her apartment somewhere in Garden Grove.  I had driven my good friend, singer Jenny Trang, over to Dai Trang's house, as the two had planned to meet up for lunch.  When I arrived, my intitial intentions were to just drop off Jenny and come back later on to pick her up once she was done with her visit.  But as I pulled up to the entrance of the apartment building, I was met with Dai Trang while she was waiting for us and was overtaken by her charm.  I just could not refuse Dai Trang's insistence that I come up to join them for lunch.  She was just so sweet and sincere that I just could not back out.  From that moment on, Dai Trang and I have grown to be more than just friends and colleagues, but our very special friendship which entails a strong love that has developed between us has become as close as that of actual siblings.


Dai Trang has been one of my true rocks throughout my years working in the singing business.  She has always been there to give me support and encouragement whenever needed in this often frustrating line of work.  One of the ways she has exemplified her duties of a benevolent big sister to me is how she has set an example of herself in order to teach me the ropes of attaining success and building for myself a sense of confidence.  Like I said, nothing ever gets Dai Trang down.  Her determination has been the driving force behind her success.

In the years that I've known Dai Trang, she has managed to have a successful singing career as well as a successful career as a businesswoman.  After many years in the spotlight, she decided to start a family as she is now mother to a son and wife to a wonderful man, Chau, an Oriental herbalist.  Since then she has gone back to school and earned herself an MBA Degree from UC Irvine in business marketing.   Together with her husband, the two have run a successful business, Phuc An Duong, a distribution firm of high quality Oriental herbs , and own a patent for Bach Lien Tra, a natural herbal tea product in which Dai Trang endorses on her self-produced Vietnamese language radio and television programs.  At one time, she also was part-owner of a Vietnamese television station.  Dai Trang still appears on video frequently for Blue Ocean Productions and performs every now and then at live shows all over the world.  Like I've often said about Dai Trang, she always seems to be running while the rest of us walk.

Link(s):

Bach Lien Tra Website
DaiTrangSinger.BlogSpot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment